Sunday, February 16, 2014

Morro Bay is one of our favorites

Lee and I have been to Morro Bay several times now.  In fact, it was one of the first places we visited together when we first met years ago!  It is a special place for us.

I like it because I always feel close to nature here.  It is one place, for example, where you can always find sea otters, without fail, in the entrance to the harbor.  Did you know they wrap themselves in kelp so the current won't carry them away while they are napping?  Smart little fellows.


There are always many different kinds of birds, including grebes, gulls, egrets, and more.  The little guy below is an eared grebe.


This time we saw three great blue herons at the same time, within about 500 feet of each other.  They were so close to us Lee was able to capture some really great shots.


Morro Rock hosts breeding pairs of peregrin falcons, and as far as I was concerned there was little chance we would find them.  They tend to nest way up high, in crevices.   Lee looked up, saw a dark bird, and took some photos.  When I looked at them later, I decided he had actually found a peregrin falcon!  Beginner's luck, I say. 


Morro Bay is always photogenic, because of its natural beauty but also because it is a small fishing town.






In the evening we walked along the beach and witnessed a remarkable sunset, framed by Morro Rock and the little rock that sits next to it.  The "spikes" are cormorants.


Wow!!


5 comments:

Kay said...

Very nice photos. What camera are you using?

Eileen said...

Lee took all of the photos in this post with the Canon PowerShot SX50 HS, a small, lightweight DSLR.

margaretlerch said...

The bird you said was a peregrin falcon was blue. Was it just the light that made it blue?

Eileen said...

Lynn, the bird looks blue because of the light. It is actually more gray.

Unknown said...

Very nice! Loved the photos, and the commentary. So glad you are having a good time.

Post a Comment