Sunday, April 27, 2014

Over-ripe Bananas

We have had very comfortable weather all the way across the country.  Cold weather stayed later than usual in Texas and the east, but this week, finally, summer has arrived.  We are currently in Ocala National Forest in north central Florida, and it is 89 degrees here.  The temperatures have been inching up, one degree or more each day.

Here's the thing.  As it has gotten warmer, our bananas have been ripening faster than we can eat them.  Horrors!  I have a rule that I don't bake in the motorhome, mostly because I have limited counter space and limited pantry space for the storage of baking ingredients. But, as I was mulling over what to do with over-ripe bananas a week ago, a hand-out at a campground had a very simple recipe for banana oatmeal nut cookies.  Yay!  I decided to try it.  I borrowed the photo below, because Lee and I ate the cookies too fast for our own photo : )

 
These cookies are super healthy, and can be eaten as a breakfast food if you like.  Here is the recipe:

Mash 2 medium over-ripe bananas in 1 cup of uncooked quick oats.

Add 1/4 cup chopped walnuts**




Coat cookie sheet with non-stick spray or butter.

Drop a tablespoon of cookie dough onto cookie sheet for each cookie.

Cook for 15 minutes in 350 degree pre-heated oven.


** Walnuts can be substituted with chocolate chips, raisins, sweetened cranberries, pecans, or whatever your imagination comes up with. 


Tasty, easy, and healthy!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great! Love the recipe! Glad you enjoyed it. Love, Janet

Unknown said...

No sugar or honey? Looks yum! We're supposed to get hot weather next week...maybe my bananas will call to me. Joel's a Cookie Monster.

Eileen said...

No sugar, no honey, the bananas supply all the sweetness, and gluten free!

Post a Comment